Friday, March 16, 2012

Dinner tonight: sausage casserole with homegrown jalapenos

This is a popular dish around my house: sausage casserole. My hubby loves anything to do with the word "sausage", so it's kind of a winner by default, but that's ok right? Here is my recipe....and please don't get to mad at me.....I don't measure anything when I cook (unless I'm baking), so this is really just a list of ingredients except for the sauce.

Combine in a casserole dish:
Smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced into bite-sized pieces
Cooked rice (I usually do one serving....whatever that measurement is)
Fresh (or in this case, frozen) diced jalapenos, to taste.
Celery seed
Salt and pepper

For the sauce:
Make a rue using 4 tbsp butter and 4 tbsp flour. Cook on low until the taste of raw flour is gone...just a minute or two once the butter is melted. Add 1 cup milk and 1 cup broth (I generally use chicken broth, but any kind will work). Cook on low, stirring frequently until thickened and then pour over the mixture in the casserole dish. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling at the edges.

Tip: Assemble the casserole a few hours, or even a full day ahead of baking. This allows the flavors to really mix together and makes for an even tastier casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment