Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Garden planning 2014

This is the time of year when I start to get antsy for spring. Now that Christmas is over and the new year is rolling around, I'm ready to start sowing seeds and watch new growth.

I have a couple of goals for the garden this year, and while I'll be plenty busy with school in the spring months, I'm confident that I can make these happen. Here are some of my garden goals for the new year:

  • Use more heirloom and open-pollinated seeds
  • At the end of the season, save those heirloom seeds for next year!
  • Use up old seeds from years past 
  • More freezing and canning. I froze a lot of green beans, and a few tomatoes after stewing them, but that was as far as it went.
  • Plant more mosquito-repelling herbs and flowers
  • Plant more bee and butterfly-attracting herbs and flowers
  • Find some new recipes to use more of the harvest
  • Get some more grass growing in the backyard
Those are some hefty goals, but I think they will make a big difference in my family's lifestyle and budget. Do you set goals for your garden regarding output, use, or environmental impact? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment